Steel Cut Oats with Blueberries and Walnuts
February is heart month! This recipe keeps your ticker healthy with steel cut oats, an unprocessed version of rolled oats. This whole grain keeps blood sugar stable, keeps cholesterol in check, and one serving delivers about 20% of your daily fibre needs. Chia seeds and walnuts offer heart healthy omega-3 fatty acids, keeping inflammation low. And blueberries are one of the healthiest fruits out there, packing an antioxidant punch like no other. This protects the arteries by scavenging for damaging free radicals.
Total time: 20 minutes
• 2 cups water
• 1 cup unsweetened almond milk or soy milk
• 1 cup steel cut oats
• 1 banana, mashed
• ¼ cup chia seeds
• 1 tsp cinnamon
• Handful of blueberries for topping
• Handful of walnuts for topping
1. Place water and milk in a pot and bring to a boil.
2. Add steel cut oats to pot, stir, then turn heat down to minimum. Cover with lid.
3. Add in mashed banana and stir to disperse throughout.
4. Cook for 10-15 minutes, stirring frequently to keep from sticking.
5. Remove from heat, add in chia seeds and cinnamon.
6. Top with blueberries and walnuts before serving.