Butternut Squash Soup
Fall is in full affect here in Ontario. The beautiful foliage and the slightly colder weather inspired us to share this delicious, and healthy butternut squash soup recipe. What better way to celebrate fall than by serving your family with this yummy treat!
2 small, seeded and quartered butternut squash
unsalted butter-2 tbs
1 tbs kosher salt, plus 1 teaspoon of pepper
1/2 an onion, finely chopped
3 cups chicken or vegetable broth
1/4 cup honey
1 clove of minced fresh garlic
1/2 cup heavy cream
1/4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
Heat the oven to 400 degrees F.
Place the quartered squash onto a half sheet pan, brush the flesh of the squash with a little butter and season with 1 tablespoon of the salt and 1/2 teaspoon of pepper. Place in the oven and roast for 20 minutes or until the flesh is soft and tender, but not crunchy.
- Sauté the chopped onions, and minced garlic in a large pan for 10 minutes on medium heat.
- Add 3 cups of chicken or vegetable broth.
- Let it cook for 20 minutes on the lowest heat.
- Let the mixture sit for a few minutes, then using a stick mixer, or a blender mix everything until fully incorporated. (Please exercise caution when handling hot liquids).
- Add 1/2 cup of heavy cream and stir for 10 minutes.
- Add the nutmeg, salt, and pepper to taste, let it sit for 15 minutes.
- Pour soup into a bowl, add a small piece of butter in the centre.